Tuesday, November 30, 2010

BBQ, diving, and spiders...oh my

Not diving today so I thought I would update the blog. Last I posted we were headed to, a BBQ at Bil Philips house. The BBQ was lots of fun and the food was even better. Grilled chicken, grilled vegetables, and potatoes...mmmmmm. Bil is such a character and I really enjoy talking to him....picture someone who would use the term "cats" in reference to people and you get the idea of colorful scenic language. He told us about the Playa Del Carmen Jazz Festival he attended....I think next year I would like to come down early enough to attend! It sounded fantastic. We met alot of people and got re-aquainted with some we already knew.


As what usually happens when I attend dinner events involving drinks and divers, I found myself a new dive buddy for the following day. A girl from Poland had just completed her cave class and was looking for a buddy...John had to work on gear the next day so I was free to dive.....and John had to be our chauffer because she didn't have a car and I can't drive the truck. I took her to the Room of Tears as I thought she would enjoy the restrictions and it is a nice cave. We entered in Zacil-Ha (luke's hope) and had a really nice dive.


Two things worth mentioning...on our way to the dive site we had to stop at 7-11 for some water and ran Alex A from Tulum. As Marta, the gal from Poland, was exiting the truck...Alex asked, "Is that your daughter?" OMG! That is all I have to say about that.


And the other thing, on our dive we were heading out...Marta was in front and she came to the line going through a restriction. She looked at me and motioned "not sure how to get through there" so we switched positions and I told her to follow me. We had a laugh about it afterward. She told me I had no bones and I told her she was a good cave diver for day 1 post cave cert. She said she likes the small stuff now and I was glad she had a good dive and got to see some nice cave outside of class. I like the small cave too.


No diving today because I forgot that after a rebreather dive, I need a day off...too much congestion, but instead I went diving. So I had to take today off. Tomorrow we hope to go to Camillo on the rebreathers and retrieve our safety bottles. The gear is ready to go.


And here is a scorpion spider that was in our room....I took a picture. It was the 3rd one....two of them died.

3 comments:

Claudette said...

hahahah... "Two of them died."

Did one of them get christened "Alex" before being stomped into a exoskeletonized book mark?

0;-)

~~~~
Claudette

(Wonderful tales, Karen! Thank you.)

Karen said...

Hahaaaa! One got "raided" and the other one got stomped. And the third got set free because he was in the picture and I felt bad about it. Except his life may be cut short as he keeps showing up late night in the loo.

kim said...

Hi Karen,

I just had a chance to catch up on the blog. As usual, it sounds like you're having a good time. It's funny, I've only been back three weeks and I'm ready for more. I may try to get back down for a week sometime in Jan or Feb.

The courthouse lighting was last week. It was just Shirley and me so we went down and kicked around town for a while after the lighting. It was incredibly crowded. I think half of Phoenix came up for the event.

I haven't responded to your e-vite yet, but yes, of course we will be there.

About the croc...wasn't there another small one in Carwash a few years ago? Maybe the same one, only now we know that he's growth challenged?

See you in a week or two - keep up the good work on the blog. Hi to you know who -