Thursday, April 1, 2010

Camillo Dive...finally

We made it back from Cozumel. We had to do some logistic changes. The Cozumel Ferry website said there was an 8am ferry back to Playa, as sometimes happens in Mexico, there was no 8am ferry...just a 9am one. That put our friends Kim and Shirley crunched for time if they were to make their flight. So we adjusted...you always have to have a plan B and not just in Mexico... and we took a bus back to Tulum while they took one to the airport.

The remainder of Tuesday we spend preparing for our dive in the next day in Sistema Camillo (the cave we are exploring).

Wednesday, we headed off to the Ranch bright and early. We found the gate already open and back in the Cenote there was already a truck there....a Zero Gravity truck. Danny, the cave explorer and one of the owners of Zero Gravity was already there. We talked briefly and started getting ready for our dive.

The first dive of any trip always comes with some apprehension, even though this was not the first dive of the trip, it was the first rebreather dive of the trip. The dive went well and even though we didn't get to where we wanted to go, we had a good solid set up dive. Not bad considering, my scooter stuck on 2 times. One was really bad in that I had to aim it at the cave wall so I could get it to stop. I didn't want to break the cable on the trigger so John came over to move the magnet. I have had them stick on before, but not like this...high speed it was!! And my new favorite saying was appropriate....Mr Toad's wide ride through the halocline. We also ran a helium drive through the rebreathers to see if it would ease the work of breathing...I think it did but the gas consumption wasn't what we were expecting.

Friday we go back in with more breathing gas, and the plan is to find the darn elusive cenote. On a side note, I saw a bunch of petrified shells I hadn't noticed before in the limestone way back in the cave...that was cool. Danny said he will also be there...oh good...more performance anxiety for me. I may have used up the breathing gas last time while I was putting in the jumps to the Black Forest line ...kept picturing Danny critiquing my line...oy! We left the jumps in, so I shouldn't have that problem on Friday...only have to worry about rebreather buoyancy and getting the switchblock tangled in the line. LOL.

Hopefully tomorrow we will have news of the elusive cenote...or a plan B.

No comments: