Sunday, March 1, 2009

Carlos Santana...not quite, but I got your attention

Hoy es Domingo (today is Sunday). John did his first dive with Fernando! My ear is improving greatly ( I am self medicating ...luckily it is easy to do down here), but I wanted to hold off one more day. The film crew arrived from Mexico City this morning, so John, Fernando and the film folks went diving in Camillo. John and Fernando did a set up dive for tomorrow. They were mostly setting Fernando up, since he will be on open circuit and we will be on rebreathers. I say we because, hell or high water, I am going diving tomorrow!!! The film crew only had today , tomorrow they are filming a new conservative approach to lobster catching that is conserving the reefs around this area. It was introduced from Belize and does not use nets but rather has the fisherman catching the lobsters by hand....we know what that is like. California style. So anyway, they only had today....so I was not in the documentary...John and Fernando were. Fernando kept trying to convince me to just "go into the entrance and be filmed". But to me if I did that I would risk not diving the following day or blowing out an eardrum, so I had to keep assuring him that it was fine. He said, "you are part of the team, you should go". No really, it is OK was my response.

John, Fernando and the team left at 10:30 and I stayed behind. I didn't want to sit out in the jungle for three hours :). I had an enjoyable relaxing day, working on Spanish, going to Pollo Bronco (the best chicken place in Tulum), taking a nap, and breaking down the rebreather. I was like the local travel assist person sitting alone in Pollo Bronco. People kept stopping to ask me questions. Maybe they figured if I was eating there, I must be local...hahaaaa. Questions like, "How long to you think it would take me to walk to the Tulum Beach" or " How long would it take to walk the entire beach", or " Is this really good chicken?". Kinda funny.

For our diving friends, I also enjoyed listening to Troy's briefing to some customers he was taking to Gran Cenote and Calavera. Troy is a Canadian who works for Fernando a portion of the year; he just arrived a few days ago and today was his first day back at work for Fernando. He was lamenting about the harsh winter in Canada and was glad to be back at in Tulum for some beach time. He was sheet white when he arrived a few days ago...today he was very tan. Totally funny if you know him.

John and Fernando returned and I heard about the dive; the set up was complete and they were able to get footage. We will supposedly be given a video of the work bebfore we leave...which is cool. We go diving tomorrow...hopefully to add new line.

So when the heck is she going to get to the Carlos Santa part? :) This is for Kim and other Santa fans out there. We were going to have dinner at Ginger in town. Which is a fabulous restaurant with really really good food....specifically seafood. It is located on the south side of Tulum...of course, being Sunday, it was closed when we got there tonight. So we opted to try Charlie's tonight. John did not particularly like the restaurant before, but it has redeemed itself, which is great because I always liked it. It was pretty crowded and a band (singer plus guitarist) were warming up. The meal was great, pollo con mole, margaritas, sopa de lima and tacos de pescado. The band played many Carlos Santana tunes and the guitarist played a Santana solo that was awesome. They guy was not more than 23 years old but he was really really fabulous. The set included Abraxus, Black Magic Woman, and a guitar solo I can never remember the name of...along with some salsa stuff, Gloria Estefan and a few English tunes adapted with a salsa beat. Really fun. Plus the lady singer had a really awesome voice (john wants me to write Kick A$$ voice, but I won't do it :)!! We will hit that place more often...plus it was cheaper than alot of the places we have been frequenting!

Tomorrow we plan for the end of the line in Camillo. The shooters are supposed to be gone tomorrow...we will see. Today they were absent, which worked out well.

Karen and John

No comments: