Friday, March 20, 2009

Karen back in Mexico...again.

I arrived back in Mexico yesterday afternoon after my very short trip back to Phx. The house was still standing, I got some things taken care of and before I knew it I was back on the plane headed for Cancun. The immigartion line was crazy long....still spring break I imagine. Once you get your bags you proceed through customs. Here the procedure is you show your form, they ask how many bags you have, then you hit a button. If the light turns green, no inspection...if it turns red, you get inspected. I had brought down a Pelican case (hard black case used to haul fragile equipment, usually photo) and the female officer asked me what was in it. I told her video lights. "Lady, " she said "how many camera...1 or 2?" I told her no cameras, just the lights. She repeated the same phrase...."Lady, how many camera...1 or 2?" I looked at her blankly and thought for a minute...and replied, "1". To my delight, her next phrase was," bien, push the button." It turned green....Cool Beans, no inspection. And I was on my way to meet John outside.

In that situation I decided it would be best not to spend too much time explaining.....just answer the question the best I could...hahaaaa.



John had survived a few days on his own :) He had some interesting discussions with Bil Phillips, a cave instructor and explorer who now lives in Tulum. John relayed some of the discussion to me.....and this is the most important part that I took away from their conversation. During the discussion, they started talking about the new cave and the direction it is heading.....which is possibly toward another known cenote. Unfortuntely this cenote is on private property. Here is the important part....apparently the owner has made it clear to many cave divers that if they surface in the cenote on the property, they run the risk of being shot. OMG! At least now we know. Note to self: if you find a new cenote in the cave, surface at your own risk.



Tomorrow we dive. Plan is to set up a stage for Fernando, lay some new line, survey the remainder of new line, and bring out the stage bottles that were left on Monday....in that order.



Happy Friday.



Karen and John

No comments: