Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday the 13th....that cave just doesn't want to be dove!

Today John, Fernando, and I geared up and headed to the Ranch in hopes of laying more line. We had stages, scooters, rebreathers, everything was set to go. Hauled all the tanks to the cenote, geared up and were just about ready to head off.....and guess what, my light wouldn't fire! OMG!! I always check my light because I never want to be the guy/gal in the cenote just before the dive that says...."my light won't work." Well today I was that gal. I didn't make sure the light turned on before the dive today.....it is something I always do, but for some reason today, I didn't....and we all paid. I even was thinking, my light is wonderful, it has been very good to me and never has it not fired when I turn on the switch. Knock on wood.....

On a side note, once I was diving with Danny ( GUE cave instructor and explorer) and we were doing pre-dive checks. I said, "my light is fired" and he started laughing....and said, "why would you fire your light...doesn't it do a good job for you"....or something like that. Now everytime I use that phrase, I laugh too.

Because it was going to be a big dive (5-6 hours) we all decided we didn't want to go back to the house and get another light since we would be coming out in the dark at this point. So we called the dive before it ever began. Loaded all the gear back into the truck, where it is staying until tomorrow at 8am, when we head off again. Fernando agreed because he didn't want to exit after dark either. The moral of the story is never break from your pre-dive check routine....ever, even if you think you know everything is fine....because you don't want to be that guy/gal ever again. It turned out that John thinks the battery is going bad.....so we switched it.

As we were driving away, Fernando said...that was the shortest shallowest dive ever.....and he would be right....DRAT!!

John had his own Friday the 13th incident. His rebreather loop mouthpiece came down and hit him square on the head. If he had been wearing his hood, it would not of mattered, but since he wasn't it cut him and he bled like a stuck pig. That thing is sharp. Poor John,

We go again tomorrow......when it will no longer be Friday the 13th:)

Karen and John

No comments: