Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Line skills and the 'Monster Room'

Today John took the day off and I went diving with .....hold on to your hat...with Danny. For those non-cave divers, Danny Riordan is one of the premier underwater cave explorers in the world. Fortunately for me, he had a light schedule this week and I was able to benefit from his availability. He teaches cave diving for an organization called GUE (Global Under Water Explorers) when he and the two other Zero Gravity guys are not exploring new caves. He is an outstanding educator and has been cave diving for a very long time. Although, I was a bit scared (performance anxiety of sorts), it was an opportunity I could not pass up.



He agreed to work on my line running and tying skills as well as some other things. It was a great day. We dove Chac Mool (another cave). Chac Mool has the worlds longest stalagtite; it hangs 42ft!(stalagtites hang tight from the ceiling, and stalagmites might reach the ceiling...at least that is how I remember it) and in is in huge room known as the 'Monster Room'. It was truly impressive. I also saw a fossilized barrel sponge, those live in the ocean, so seeing it in the cave was way cool. Did two dives in this cave system and learned so much, I hope I remember it all. And now I know how to get there and this is definately a scooter cave..hahahaaa.



John picked me up from the dive shop and we went straight to an early dinner.



Here is a view from the restaurant. After dinner John and I took a walk on the Tulum beach all the way to the ruins. Well, as close to ruins as we could get and walked back.

It was a great day.

2 comments:

Art & Karen Malone said...

Well arent you brave!
Honestly though, I'd the benefit of your experience with Danny if you should choose to impart some of those new skills you learning.
Danny is a great teacher, he just scares the pants off me. :)

Unknown said...

I have always wanted to dive Chac Mool Sounds like a fun cave even if you were getting tortured by MR Danny (I am looking forward to having him show us how little we know someday). Sounds like your enjoying your stay. I love what youve done with "the Room", see you soon