Thursday, March 20, 2008

Set up Dive No. 3 completed

Yesterday we took the day off. I had ear issues and wanted to give them some time to recover. We had alot of errands to run....you are probably thinking..."is she kidding?" But we did have errands. We dropped clothes of at the lavanderia, had the rental car washed (since we would be seeing them later today we had to get it cleaned so they wouldn't inspect it further), went to the grocery store, worked on gear, had lunch at Zama's plus a few margaritas, and met the rental car guys who had to bring us new papers for the car as they expired today, and then a nap. Zama's wins the prize for the best margaritas, so far this trip. It is fun to watch people take the first sip and see their reaction. Las margaritas son muy fuerte!!!

Below is a photo of one of the back streets of Tulum, we took while looking for the car wash.



Today we felt much better and headed out to the Ranch to do our 3rd set up dive. Today we were replacing the first 2 stages with new one's and would only be going as far as Cenote Camillo. The dive went great with some added bonuses. We scootered pretty much all the way there and made it in record time...for us 37 minutes. We decided to surface in Camillo and when we did I heard what I thought was men working, but it turned out to be monkeys in the trees. That was way cool!! One was looking down at us from the tree and trying to figure out what we were. Then John growled and they all went back into the jungle. But then he made monkey calling sounds and they came back...which was even cooler. I saw 5. I believe they were spider monkeys. I finally got to see monkeys in the jungle!!!

Anyway, away we went back the way we came and we made it to the Black Forest jump (a line in the cave) pretty fast so we scootered up to the Grand Canyon line just because we had time. After we had exited and and I was hauling gear back up to the car, I heard and saw something go across the trail. I kinda screeched at first, then I called to John, "so what does a fer da lance look like?" A fer da lance is a venomous snake. I was watching it as it was near a palm tree next to the path. You will be happy to know, as I was, that I looked it up later and it wasn't that kind of snake. John was bugged he didn't see it.

One last note for our scuba friends, we were towing 3 stages on the scooter and the back one is a PIA because it doesn't float. John decided we were going to try out using a small inner tube around the back tank to float it. He had our friend Craig Sattersfield machine a piece to put on the inflator. Craig, if you are reading this...the piece you made is fabulous and the inner tubes with the inflator around the back tank works great...no more dragging when you stop the scooter!!! Helium in the tanks works well too, but that gets a bit pricey.
Below are some land photos of where we dove today. Tomorrow is the big dive...up past the "Loft" and we will most likely be in the water for 6 hours. We are starting early because I want out before dark!!!


Once in the Ranch, here is the road to Cenote Muchachos.
John carrying one of the scooters to the Cenote.


John wants a shirt that reads, "I'd rather have someone else carry my Gavin"...Hahahaaaa.


The entrance to the cave...stages on the platform and scooters in the water.


And yes, it was way hot today with no breeze. But being, the delicate flower that I am, I was able to handle it :P
Until Later,
Karen and John






No comments: